In order for our members to know the individuals who serve them at the national level, NASDCTEc is presenting a blog series called “Meet Your Board Members”, beginning with Dr. Phil Berkenbile, our President.
Berkenbile began his career in Oklahoma as an agricultural education instructor for Morrison Public Schools. He joined the Oklahoma Department of CareerTech in 1988 as the agricultural education northwest district supervisor and curriculum specialist. In 1994 he became the agricultural education assistant state supervisor. A year later Berkenbile left the agency to become the superintendent of schools in Morrison. He returned to the agency in 1999 as the associate state director of educational services. In April 2003, he was selected as chief of staff, and in May 2003 he began serving as interim state director, and was named State Director of the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education in 2004, by its State Board.
Like every dedicated State Director, Berkenbile serves as Chairman of the Governor’s Taskforce on Healthcare, and is a Board member on the Governor’s Taskforce on Aerospace and Information Security, the Oklahoma Manufacturers Alliance Board, the State Insurance Advisory Council, and the State Workforce Development Board. He is President of the National Association of State Directors of Career Technical Education (NASDCTE), past-chair of the Oklahoma Education Technology Trust (OETT) Foundation, Board member of the Oklahoma Community Institute, member of the Oklahoma College Savings Taskforce, member of the Academy of State Goals, and a 2001-02 graduate of Leadership Oklahoma – Class XIV. He is a member of the Oklahoma Partnership for School Readiness Program and a 2001-02 graduate of Educators Leadership Academy. He serves on the CareerTech Administrative Council (CTAC) and is a member of the Oklahoma Association of Career and Technology Education (OkACTE).
He received his bachelor’s, masters and doctoral degrees in agricultural education from Oklahoma State University. In 2006 he received the OSU Graduate of Distinction Award in agricultural education.
A recipient of numerous civic and community awards, Berkenbile has also been recognized at the state and national levels for his many contributions to Oklahoma’s education system.
When asked about his goals as President of NASDCTEc, Berkenbile gave a strong response:
- To help disseminate the new direction and vision of Career and Technology education to all states, legislators and business & industry partners. We are not the vocational education our fathers knew.
- To broaden the scope and participation of students in a new CTE that includes technical, academic and soft skills learning for the future in a global, life-long learning arena. Our programs of study and pathways lead to top level credentials, certifications and degrees that result in a highly educated workforce.
- To provide academic educators the knowledge that our curriculum and courses are rigorous and help reinforce the courses they teach in math, science and literacy.
- To help our business & industry partners understand that we are about training for high-demand, high-wage and high-skill jobs for today and for a workforce of the future.
About the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education
- The Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education is located in the north-central Oklahoma town of Stillwater. The department provides leadership, resources, and assures standards of excellence for a comprehensive statewide system of career and technology education. That system offers programs and services in 29 technology center districts operating on 57 campuses, 398 comprehensive school districts, 56 skill centers and three juvenile facilities.
- The Department is governed by the State Board of Career and Technology Education, working closely with the State Department of Education and the State Regents for Higher Education
- Organizational Chart http://www.okcareertech.org/whoweare/OrgChart.pdf
- Learn more about Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education, 1500 West 7thAvenue, Stillwater, OK 74074
We thank Dr. Berkenbile for providing personal insight and sharing his goals for our organization. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.