Earlier today the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) published its annual Projections of Education Statistics report . The forty first edition of the survey provides statistics on educational enrollments, graduates, teachers, secondary education expenditures, and similar information at the postsecondary level. The report is based on data obtained by NCES over the past fourteen years and provides forecasts to the year 2022. Findings from the report which may be of interest to the CTE community:
- Enrollments in public elementary and secondary schools increased by 7 percent between 1997 and 2011 and are projected to increase an additional 7 percent between 2011 and 2022.
- The total number of public high school graduates increased by 28 percent between 1997â€“98 and 2009â€“10 and is projected to grow by an additional 1 percent by the 2022â€“23 school year.
- Expenditures for public elementary and secondary education, in constant 2011-12 dollars, increased by 37 percent between 1997-98 and 2009-10 school years. This figure is expected to grow by an additional 27 percent by the 2022-23 school year to a total of $699 billion.
- Total enrollments in postsecondary degree-granting institutions increased 45 percent from 1997 to 2011 and are projected to increase by 14 percent by 2022.
- The total number of associateâ€™s degrees awarded increased by 69 percent between the 1997-98 and 2010-2011 school yearsâ€” that number is expected to increase by an additional 49 percent by the 2022-23 school year.
The full report, including methodology and supplemental information, can be found here.
Steve Voytek, Government Relations AssociateÂ