According to the Illinois Pathways Press Release, Governor Pat Quinn joined business and education leaders to launch the Illinois Pathways Initiative, an innovative public-private partnership between Illinois’ public education institutions and the business community to foster Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) learning.
Funded through the state’s secured Race to the Top funds, Illinois Pathways will help prepare students for college and careers in new and growing fields. As part of Governor Quinn’s agenda to reform and improve education in Illinois, this initiative will provide for strong collaboration in Illinois’ business and education communities to prepare students for the jobs of today and tomorrow.
Groups that collaborated in this STEM education initiative designed to support college and career readiness for all students include:
- Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity
- Illinois State Board of Education
- Illinois Community College Board
- Illinois Board of Higher Education
- Illinois Student Assistance Commission
- Illinois Department of Employment Security
P-20 STEM Program of Study Clusters include:
- Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
- Architecture and Construction
- Health Science
- Information Technology
- Research and Development
- Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics
Illinois State Director and NASDCTEc Board Member Mark Williams said “These new public-private partnerships will bring together schools, industry, and other partners so that students will have a real connection to the world of STEM and those who have made these fields their career.”
To learn more about the State’s STEM education efforts, e-mail email@example.com.
Ramona Schescke, Member Services Manager