Career Technical Education (CTE) is working across the nation to enable students of all ages to excel in their schools and colleges, and secure high-demand jobs. This month, CTE students and professionals from across the country are celebrating CTE Month to raise public awareness of the value of CTE programs to individuals, communities, business and industry, and the nationâ€™s economy.
U.S. Department of Education Celebrates CTE Month
The U.S. Department of Education is among those celebrating CTE Month through a schedule of activities that highlights outstanding CTE programs. The Department will also draw attention to the need to align all CTE programs to the needs of in-demand fields. Learn more
California State Superintendent Calls for Career Readiness Initiative
California State Superintendent Tom Torlakson has recognized February as CTE Month as he works to expand and promote CTE courses in Californiaâ€™s public schools. Through his Career Readiness Campaign, Torlakson has directed the California Department of Education to work toward 17 key objectives for supporting and strengthening CTE. Some of the objectives include:
- Joining the CTE: Learning that Works for America campaign and adopting a CTE: Learning that Works for California logo.
- Making efforts to educate stakeholders on the benefits of CTE
- Developing strategies to increase CTE student enrollment
- Supporting and expanding Career Technical Student Organizations
- Promoting articulation agreements and concurrent enrollment opportunities
- Increasing web presence to promote career readiness
California schools offer more than 42,000 CTE classes and serve more than 1 million students. Learn more
What is your state doing to promote CTE Month? Please share with us the impressive work that your state does to support CTE! E-mail email@example.com to share.
Kara Herbertson, Research and Policy Manager