BROUGHT TO YOU BY
National Association of State Directors of Career
Technical Education Consortium (NASDCTEc)

Posts Tagged ‘economy’

House Budget Proposal Would Cost 1 Million Jobs, Say Democrats

Monday, January 31st, 2011

In a statement released on Wednesday, Senate Democrats estimated that the Republican Study Committee’s bill to roll back funding to FY06 levels would cost the economy one million jobs, despite Republicans’ campaign pledge to create jobs. Among the areas that would be slashed are:

“The Republicans’ plan would lead our country down the path to fewer jobs, fewer services for our veterans and small businesses and fewer opportunities for our students,” said Sen. Patty Murray (WA). “We need to rein in spending, but we need to do it in a way that will keep America competitive in the 21st century economy—and we can’t allow it to happen on the backs of our workers, our families, or our communities.”

The statement goes on to say that key education programs would be eliminated entirely, including “vocational training,” showing that Senate Democrats understand the importance of CTE in helping create jobs and a skilled workforce. Be sure to call your Member of Congress today to make sure they know how vital CTE is for turning around our economy!

By Nancy in Legislation
Tags: , , , ,

Duncan Touts CTE in Speech at National Press Club

Tuesday, July 27th, 2010

duncan-arne-sec_-of-ed_-3-09At a luncheon today at the National Press Club, during which he announced the finalists for round two of Race to the Top, Secretary of Education Arne Duncan spoke about the education reforms that the Obama Administration is undertaking, and what lies ahead for federal education policy. Secretary Duncan stressed that as the United States lags behind other nations in science, math and college completion, that we must educate our way to a better economy. Some strategies for improving student achievement and restoring the United States’ position as first in the world in college graduates include federal incentives such as Race to the Top, Investing in Innovation grants, and the Teacher Incentive Fund; a change in ESEA accountability systems; and common standards, as well as the curriculum and assessments to accompany new standards.

During the Q&A portion of the event, a question was submitted that asked whether the United States needed more CTE. The Secretary responded that yes, students will benefit from programs such as apprenticeships that allow students to “work with their hands,” that provide a range of options, and that give students a reason to stay in school.  He went on to remind the audience that CTE does not happen just at the secondary level, and that community colleges play a vital role in training students in emerging fields such as STEM and green technologies.

By Nancy in Public Policy
Tags: , , , , , , ,

2018 Job Projections Show Need for Postsecondary Education

Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010

Without a dramatic change in how our nation prepares individuals for the workforce and to obtain necessary postsecondary education, the nation will fall dramatically short in cultivating a workforce to fulfill demand, according to a recent report by Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce. Help Wanted: Projections of Jobs and Education Requirements Through 2018 projects that by 2018, 63 percent of all jobs will require a degree in higher education, leaving only 37 percent of jobs to individuals who did not finish high school or did not go on to college.

This report — authored by Anthony P. Carnevale, Nichole Smith and Jeff Strohl — underscores why we must ensure that students are equipped to enter into this competitive workforce in which postsecondary education and training will be requirements for a middle class job. CTE can provide support in this area by offering students the opportunity to obtain training and skills and a postsecondary degree.  These credentials will allow individuals to gain a competitive edge that will make them more desirable in the current and future job market.

Other highlights from the report include:

By Nancy in Public Policy
Tags: , , , , , ,

 

Series

Archives